FILING A COMPLAINT
1. How do I file a complaint?Fill out a Code Enforcement Complaint Form. Call 625-6083 to receive a form by email, fax or regular mail, click here for the online form or click the button at the top of the page.
2. Can I file an anonymous complaint?
No, you must provide your name and contact information as well as your signature for the complaint to be valid. You may sign the disclaimer on the bottom of the form stating you do not wish your contact information to be released.
1. What do I do about a Junk Vehicle? There are several answers to this question, as follows:
Is it in the county?
a. Call the Sheriff’s office @ 477-6929
Is it in the City in the right-of-way?
b. Call the Abandoned Vehicle hotline @ 625-4246
Is it in the City in your neighbor’s yard?
c. File a complaint form with Code Enforcement.
Is it in the City in your own yard?
d. File a Hulk Slip request form with City Code Enforcement.
2. There is a junk vehicle on my property, what do I do with it?
Is it really a junk vehicle? (to see criteria click here)
a. Yes, Get a hulk slip from either the DOL, a local towing company or the SPD abandoned vehicle dept.
b. No, Call a towing company to tow away.
If it’s an abandoned vehicle that doesn’t qualify as a junk vehicle call the towing company. If you suspect that it is stolen call the SPD.
3. My neighbor is parking his/her vehicles in front of my house, is there anything I can do about that?
No. Anyone is allowed to park anywhere on the street as long as they aren’t blocking driveways or fire hydrants or parking too close to a stop sign. However, cars must be moved at least every 12 hours. If the car has not moved in over 12 hours, call the SPD Abandoned vehicle hotline @ 625-4246.
4. Is my neighbor allowed to park in his/her front yard?
Yes, for one day in a driveway, but not beside the driveway or in the yard. If someone is parking longer than 24 hours in the driveway, or if the vehicle is not in a driveway, file a complaint form with City Code Enforcement.
1. My neighbor has trash/junk/debris/garbage all over his/her yard, what can I do about that?
In the City of Spokane, file a complaint form with City Code Enforcement.
In Spokane County, file a complaint form with County Code Enforcement, 477-3675
In City of Spokane Valley, file a complaint with Valley Code Enforcement, 921-1000
2. Garbage/debris/furniture etc. was dumped on my property or put in my garbage can, can I do anything about that? For City or County:
Did you find anything in the debris that identifies the party that dumped it? Or did you witness the party that dumped the debris?
a. If yes, fill out an illegal dump form and submit it to Code Enforcement. Forms are available on line, at City Hall, at your Local COP Shop, or by calling 625-6083 to receive by mail or fax.
b. If no, property owner/tenant is responsible for clean up.
3. Garbage/debris/furniture etc. was dumped in my street or in my alley, who cleans that up?
We have a crew that cleans up items dumped in the right of way in the city and county. Call City Code enforcement @ 625-6083.
4. There is litter up and down my street, who cleans that up?
Along roadways in the city and the county, we have a crew to do that, contact City Code Enforcement to have your street put on the list for cleanup.
For State Highways contact the Washington State Dept of Transportation @ email@example.com or www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/swfa/litter
5. I witnessed someone littering, how do I report that?
Call litter hotline @ 1-866-548-8371.
1. My neighbor has too many animals, what can I do?
In the City, citizens are allowed to keep 4 pets total. To report a violation, file a complaint form with City Code Enforcement.
2. My neighbor’s dog is always barking, how do I report that?
For any animal noise call Spokanimal @ 534-8133
3. My neighbor has a dog that he/she lets run loose, how do I report that?
In the City call Spokanimal @ 534-8133
In the County call SCRAPS @ 477-2532
4. My neighbor is neglecting/mistreating his/her dog/pet, how do I report that?
In the City call Spokanimal @ 534-8133
In the County call SCRAPS @ 477-2532
5. My neighbor does not clean up his/her pet’s waste, how do I report that?
Call the Environmental Health Dept. @ 324-1560
1. I’m a renter and my house does not comply with the building code, what can I do?
Call the Building Department @ 625-6300.
Contact the Washington State Attorney Generals office for information on Landlord/Tenant rights @ www.atg.wa.gov or 456-3123
2. My neighbor is building without a permit, can I do anything about that?
Call the Building Department @ 625-6300
WEEDS AND AIR QUALITY
1. My neighbor has noxious weeds in his/her yard and I’m afraid they will spread to my yard, is there anything I can do?
Call the noxious weed line @ 477-5777 or visit their website @ www.spokanecounty.org/weedboard
2. I have an issue with the air quality, is there someone I can contact about that?
Yes, contact the Spokane Regional Clean Air Agency @ 477-4727.
1. My neighbor is making too much noise, how can I report him/her?
Quiet hours are 10pm to 7am, except noise restrictions apply all hours to live music and DJ systems. Calls for violations should go to the Police Department. During evening hours call 911.
For any noise other than that made by a commercial business/machine, call the police.
For Commercial Industrial machine noise file a complaint form with Code Enforcement.
2. Can I apply for a noise variance? How do I apply for a noise variance?
Variances are for large community oriented events that are unable to meet the noise restrictions.
To apply please call 625-6083 or check the Noise variance section on the Zoning page of this website (Click here to go directly there). You will be asked to provide information pertaining to your event. Variances must be applied for at least 5 business days prior to the event.
1. There is a yard with tall dry weeds that I’m afraid will catch fire, what can I do?
You may fill out a complaint form and submit it to Code Enforcement. In order for a property to be declared a fire hazard, it must meet certain criteria. Click here to see those criteria. Otherwise, unkempt yards are not a violation of the code.
2. Someone in my neighborhood is setting off fireworks, who do I call?
Call the Fire Department
1. My neighbor is running a business out of his/her home in a residential neighborhood. Is that legal?
It depends on what kind of business it is. If it is a business that is allowed, there are certain regulations that it must follow. Call Current Planning @ 625-6300 for specifics or see SMC 17C.340
2. There is someone in my neighborhood who runs a continuous yard sale, is there anything I can do about that?
Yes, file a complaint form with the Code Enforcement office. A home is only allowed to have 2 sales per year, 3 days maximum in duration.
3. There is a sign in my neighborhood that I think is illegal, how can I check that?
Signs for home occupations in a residential neighborhood may not exceed one square foot in area and must be placed flat against the building to which it pertains.
A non-residential building, like a church in a residential zone, may have one identification sign not exceeding fifteen square feet in area and not exceeding a height of twenty feet above average grade along the front of the building.
No advertising signs are allowed in the right-of-way. Violations may be reported to Code Enforcement.
For additional information please call Current Planning @ 625-6300 or see SMC 17C.240 – Signs
4. Does a swimming pool have to be fenced? How deep does it have to be in order to require a fence?
Yes, all swimming pools, hot tubs and ponds exceeding five thousand gallons and deeper than 18 inches must be fenced. See SMC 11.12.040.
1. There are branches blocking or infringing upon the sidewalk or street, how do I report that?
Call the Transportation Department @ 232-8800
2. There is a basketball hoop/skateboard ramp on the sidewalk or in the street, who do I call about that?
Call Engineering Services @ 625-6300.
3. Can I put a storage container in the street for my household items?
Yes, please contact Engineering Services @ 625-6300 for an Obstruction permit.
4. My neighbor hasn’t shoveled the snow off of his sidewalk, what do I do about that?
Call the Street Department @ 232-8800.
5. My neighbor is blowing his/her leaves into the street, can I do anything about that?
Small accumulations of leaves are not an issue, however, for large accumulations call the Street Department @ 232-8800.